Flight 19
   The Tudors
   Flight 441
  Martin Marlin
   Pogo 22
   Tyler 41
   C-119 Flying Boxcar
   B-25 N92877
   Sting 27

Two Year Crisis

   Fighting Tiger 524
   Aero Cmdr N128C
   Ted Smith N555BU
   Queen Air 65 N1GH
   Arrow III N47910
   Queen Air N809Q
   Navajo N689WW
   DC-3 N407D
   Chieftain N59912
   Piper N54615
   Beech N4442

   Beech N925RZ
   Piper Arrow N7480J
   Cessna 150J N60936
   Cessna 182 N2183R
   Aero Cmdr N3815C
   Piper Aztec N13986
  Twin Bonanza N1706
   Aztec N1435P

   Baron 58 N9027Q

       The Enigma

   Piper Aztec N68444
   Bonanza N5999
   Cessna 152 N93261
   Cessna 172 N1GH
   Cessna 402B N44NC
 Cessna 402C N2652B
 Cessna 337D N505CX
   Cessna T210-J
   Cherokee N25626
   Cherokee Six N69118
   Aero Cmdr N50GV
   Cherokee N5488W
   Aero Cmdr N6138X
   Piper Cub N8971C
   Navajo N777AA
   Navajo N3527E
 Turbo Arrow N505HP
   Warrior N5916V




Bermuda Triangle

Recasting Bigfoot

True Crime/Case Cold

Home > Bermuda Triangle Database  > Missing Aircraft > Cargomasters


Case Studies

The Bermuda Triangle Database


Missing Aircraft

C-133 Cargomaster

caroussel_eft C-133-2-icon caroussel_right caroussel_eft C-133-icon caroussel_right caroussel_eft C-133B-inflight-icon caroussel_right


   The C-133 Cargomaster was the largest aircraft in the US Air Force. Its primary duty was to haul huge amounts of military cargo long distances. To make this feasible, it was designed to carry huge amounts of fuel.

   On May 27, 1962, a C-133 left Dover, Delaware en route to the Azores. The pilot, James Allen Higgins, rogered Air Traffic Control to report reaching 17,000 feet. All seemed normal. At the precise second: 9:25.50 a.m. the C-133 vanished from the scope. It was about 25 miles southeast of South May Intersection (Cape May, NJ).

   The Coast Guard was immediately notified, and searched the area thoroughly without finding a shred. Quite an incredible fact since the plane was carrying 50,000 pounds of cargo consisting of crates, boxes, bags, clothes-- all very floatable. Moreover, it was carrying no less than 85,000 pounds of fuel, most of which had not yet been expended.     


Length: 157 feet 6 inches

Wingspan: 179 feet 8 inches

Capacity: 6 crew

Max. Speed 359

Cruising Speed: 322

Range: 4,097 miles

caroussel_eft C-133-BW-icon caroussel_right

Big, ugly but practical C-133 Cargomaster. A huge aircraft constantly being used by the Air Force to haul anything overseas in its large bays and cargo holds. This one is in flight near the spot where the 2 here vanished so mysteriously. National Archives.

caroussel_eft C133-Cargomaster-icon caroussel_right
caroussel_eft C-133-rearview-icon caroussel_right
caroussel_eft Mats caroussel_right

  Eventually 2 items were discovered: a deflated life raft and a nose wheel. The totally destructive nature of the cause is underlined by a listing of very minute fragments inbedded in both the wheel and the raft: aluminun, steal, plywood, paint chips, all belonging to the aircraft. Concerning a test conducted on these bits of debris,  the FBI lab stated: “No significance is attached to the presence of the very small magnetic particle,” although it did admit it did not know what it was. It went on to state that “No residues of an explosive material were located on [the] specimens . . .”
   The weather had only called for a week breeze at 6 knots, 7,000 feet scattered, 12,000 feet broken. Nothing significant.
   The aircraft had been loaded at Norton AFB in Californa and had then flown cross country to Dover AFB, so it seems unlikely there was any problem with the cargo loading.
   On September 22, 1963, another C-133 belonging to the same Air Transport Wing (1607th) disappeared on the same route. At about exactly in the same spot, 25 miles out, the radio transmissions became suddenly faint. Air Traffic control asked the plane to “indent”, that is, turn on a signal that will make an SIF return on the controller’s scope. Its pilot, Dudley Connolly, reply was a faint “roger, roger” to this. However, no SIF appeared on the scope of the controller. From “skin returns” i.e. just radar reflection of the fuselage, the plane was followed to the South May Intersection.
   New York requested that the C-133 switch frequency. The transmissions did get better but remained broken. At 2:55 a.m. (20 minutes after takeoff) they were able to hear Connolly say: “For your information --ah, we’re thirty miles out of the Sea Isle on the one thirty eight radial.”
   2:58 a.m. New York: “Report reaching one four thousand.”
   Donnolly’s last words were a routine “roger, roger.”
   The controllers followed what they believed to be the blip of the C-133 for another 5 minutes. Then after another sweep it was gone. This time a search found absolutely nothing.
   For the record this C-133 was carrying 48,593 pounds of cargo and 88, 000 pounds of fuel.
   There is no explanation for the disappearance of either C-133, although the last vanished in some ways suggestive of popular theories of  the Bermuda triangle, with its electronic camouflaging abilities and radio voids as if the aircraft did not vanish down, but up or through a hole in time or space. However odd such theories sound, one must admit they are no less odd than the facts at hand.
   It was John Wallace Spencer who wrote the first book devoted to the Bermuda Triangle in 1969. It was his belief that the Bermuda Triangle, which he preferred to call the “Limbo of the Lost” actually extended from Cape May to a point circling Bermuda by 450 miles and then down to the Caribbean and through the Gulf and back up along the US East Coast continental shelf. Such startling losses as these almost seem to justify his view. It may be worthy of note to add that on January 7, 1997 a jumbo jet encountered unexplained turbulence or forces near here (30 miles south of Champs Intersection) that injured several passengers, causing it to divert from its course of Philadelphia--San Juan and land at New York. Whatever caused the C-133 to vanish here, it did so at a much lower altitude, making it certain it was not some disturbance of the jet stream.
   This is just another example of where an aircraft seemed to “dematerialize” after experiencing radio and electronic problems.     

Diagram in the report on the first C-133 showing how entire semis can be loaded into the fuselage of a MATS C-133.