Flight 19
   The Tudors
   Flight 441
  Martin Marlin
   Pogo 22
   Tyler 41
   C-119 Flying Boxcar
   B-25 N92877
   Sting 27

Two Year Crisis

   Fighting Tiger 524
   Aero Cmdr N128C
   Ted Smith N555BU
   Queen Air 65 N1GH
   Arrow III N47910
   Queen Air N809Q
   Navajo N689WW
   DC-3 N407D
   Chieftain N59912
   Piper N54615
   Beech N4442

   Beech N925RZ
   Piper Arrow N7480J
   Cessna 150J N60936
   Cessna 182 N2183R
   Aero Cmdr N3815C
   Piper Aztec N13986
  Twin Bonanza N1706
   Aztec N1435P

   Baron 58 N9027Q

       The Enigma

   Piper Aztec N68444
   Bonanza N5999
   Cessna 152 N93261
   Cessna 172 N1GH
   Cessna 402B N44NC
 Cessna 402C N2652B
 Cessna 337D N505CX
   Cessna T210-J
   Cherokee N25626
   Cherokee Six N69118
   Aero Cmdr N50GV
   Cherokee N5488W
   Aero Cmdr N6138X
   Piper Cub N8971C
   Navajo N777AA
   Navajo N3527E
 Turbo Arrow N505HP
   Warrior N5916V




Bermuda Triangle

Recasting Bigfoot

True Crime/Case Cold

Home > Bermuda Triangle Database  > Missing Aircraft > Martin Marlin


Case Studies

The Bermuda Triangle Database


Missing Aircraft

P5M Martin “Marlin”

caroussel_eft Martin-Marlin-1956-icon caroussel_right caroussel_eft MartinMarlin-pressphoto-icon caroussel_right caroussel_eft Martin-Marlin-pressphoto-icon caroussel_right

Martin “Marlin”

   On November 9, 1956, a huge amphibian Martin Marlin patrol bomber took off from US Naval Station, Great Sound, on Bermuda. The pilot was Ltjg Chuck Patterson. The time was 6:27 p.m.

   His mission was routine: he was to patrol about 300 miles north of Bermuda to “conduct routine shipping surveillance,” an incredibly boring duty of checking ship movements in the major sea lanes north of the island.

   He had 9 crew, counting himself.

   Next thing heard from Patterson was at 9:30 p.m. when Ltjg Peters, flying another Marlin on patrol, contacted him. Patterson said manner-of-factly that he was flying at 2,000 feet, heading north. All was normal.

   Patterson and his crew then spotted a freighter bearing horizons northeast. Patterson was descending with the intent of making a pass to identify the vessel. All very routine.


Length: 100 feet 7 inches

Wingspan: 117 feet 2 inches

Capacity: 11 crew

Max. Speed 215

Cruising Speed: 150

Range: 2,050 miles

caroussel_eft MartinMarlins-icon caroussel_right
caroussel_eft Martin-P5M-2-Marlin-in-flight-icon caroussel_right

    At 9:42 p.m. the crew of the freighter s.s. Captain Lyras looked up to the roar of an approaching aircraft. A huge plane roared low overhead. The crew noted the gray underbelly of the plane and the white star on the bottom of the wing. Following the plane with their gaze, they watched it fly straight into the sea on the horizon without taking any evasive action whatsoever. 

caroussel_eft P5M_Marlin-color caroussel_right
caroussel_eft MartinMarlin-color-icon caroussel_right
caroussel_eft Marlin-color-icon caroussel_right

Plane first seen starboard side in flames about six miles. ^*Altered course and reduced distance to three miles guided by small light on raft or wreck. When about 3 miles off light extinguished and sight heavy rain squalls which reduced visibility. Till now no contact.

Did anyone actually see plane crash??

Captain and mate seen plane crash. Small light showing till 9:50. Light lost in heavy rain squalls. When three miles off strong explosion heard and felt even by engine watch and all other crew which was standing by at life boats. Explosion occurred at 10:15*. Plane [had] passed over vessel at very low altitude. Also seen star identification mark. No sign of wreck in spite of thirteen hours effort. Shall I proceed destination?

caroussel_eft Marlin-color-2-icon caroussel_right
caroussel_eft s.s.CaptainLyras-icon caroussel_right

* 10:07 p.m.; the Lyras’ chronometer was fast by 8 minutes.

   Well, all this had to be made clear. The Navy figured the Marlin must have exploded when it hit the ocean. (^* The wording in the above message is where the erroneous reports must have originated that the Marlin was in flames in mid air. It was made clear later that it hit the ocean, then exploded). When the wreckage sank to 25 feet, the triggering depth for the depth charges it carried, they then exploded. This accounts for the second explosion. This means that the Marlin stayed afloat in one form or another for about 25 minutes, the time in between the crash and second explosion.

   This seems probable. Survivors may have had time to get off, explaining that flare or light seen by the Lyras. Two days later, the Astro also reported a flare but could not locate it in heavier than ideal seas. No trace was ever found of the crew. If any survived, they eventually vanished under the sea.

   The Navy proposed three possible solutions. First, starting with the most simple: that the Marlin experienced engine trouble when passing over the Lyras (which reported no sound of engine trouble); second, the pilot left the instruments and became confused after the low level pass, and lost control; third and most subjective: that the pilot did not check between the pressure altimeter and the radio altimeter and flew into the ocean. There was a reported altimeter error of 300 feet for that area.

   The last may very well be the case. Patterson may have thought that he was 300 feet higher in altitude than he was (although passing over the ship should have given him a clue as to his altitude). On the other hand, he seems to have kept his plane in the same level of decent and not bothered to pull up after the pass, since 6 miles after his pass over he flew into the ocean at the same constant angle of descent.  This argues for lack of flight control, not misreading the altimeter. When a pass is made of a ship, it is usually done in a level flight pattern, not a descending one.

   Something happened in those short 12 minutes after he and Peters spoke and when Patterson said all was normal. The big Marlin just flew straight into the sea and into mystery.

   The Bermuda Triangle offers a fourth possibility: those of equipment malfunction and the electromagnetic drains some pilots have reported. If these are legitimate, they could have suddenly effected the big plane, making it impossible for Patterson to pull his plane out of its deadly descent or send any SOS they were going down.

   In fact, the Navy believed Patterson didn’t even know what was happening.          “ . . .if the pilot had any due warning of a malfunction it is believed he would have contacted Navy 126506 [Peters], which he had contacted on UHF approximately 12 minutes prior to the accident. It is also believed he would have jettisoned his ordnance.”

     Officially, though, all that can be said with certainty is offered in the brief final conclusion: “The primary cause of this fatal accident is undetermined.”